Witch Soup
Welcome To Witch Soup

To particiate fully in the forum, you must be a registered member.

Please come and join us, by registering an account. If there are any problems you can contact the Admin in the 'guest' section where we will try to help you.

Us here at Witch Soup would like to say "Thanks" for popping by. We hope to see you back soon.

Mary Berry's classic Christmas cake

Go down

Post  Errata on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:47 am

You can make this sherry-infused, Victorian-style Christmas cake well ahead of the big day - in fact, the longer you leave it, the better it will taste!

Serves: 12

Prep time: 30 mins
(plus 3 days for soaking the fruit)

Cooking time: 4 hrs
(may need an extra 15 mins)

Total time: 4 hrs 30 mins

Ingredients

You should make this cake at least three weeks ahead of Christmas, for if eaten too early it's crumbly. If you don't want to use alcohol, use the same quantity of orange juice. Instead of covering with icing, you could brush warmed apricot jam over the cake, then arrange glace fruits and nuts on top.

175g (6 oz) raisins
350g (12 oz) glace cherries, rinsed, thoroughly dried and quartered
500g (1lb 2oz) currants
350g (12oz) sultanas
150ml (¼ pint) sherry, plus extra for feeding
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
250g (9oz) butter, softened
250g (9oz) light muscovado sugar
4 eggs
1 tbsp black treacle
75g (3oz) blanched almonds, chopped
75g (3oz) self-raising flour
175g (6oz) plain flour
1½ tsp mixed spice

To finish and decorate:
About 3 tbsp apricot jam, sieved and warmed
Icing sugar
675g shop-bought almond paste
Packet royal icing mix to cover 23cm/9in cake
Method
1.Put all the dried fruit in a container, pour over the sherry and stir in the orange zest. Cover with a lid, and leave to soak for 3 days, stirring daily. Grease and line a 23cm (9in) deep round tin with a double layer of greased greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 140ºC/Fan 120ºC/Gas Mark 1.
2.Measure the butter, sugar, eggs, treacle and almonds into a very large bowl and beat well. Add the flours and mixed spice and mix thoroughly until blended. Stir in the soaked fruit. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and level the surface.
3.Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 4-4½ hours or until the cake feels firm to the touch and is a rich golden brown. Check after 2 hours, and, if the cake is a perfect colour, cover with foil. A skewer inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
4.When cool, pierce the cake at intervals with a fine skewer and feed with a little extra sherry. Wrap the completely cold cake in a double layer of greaseproof paper and again in foil and store in a cool place for up to 3 months, feeding at intervals with more sherry. (Don't remove the lining paper when storing as this helps to keep the cake moist.)
5.Decorate with almond paste and royal icing.

To prepare the cake ahead: Prepare the fruit and soak in sherry 3 days ahead - this is essential to plump up and flavour the fruit. Make the cake and wrap as in stage 4. Store in a cool place for up to 3 months, following stage 4. You could also freeze the cake before decorating, for up to 3 months; defrost at room temperature.

Errata
Cookie

Back to top Go down

Re: Mary Berry's classic Christmas cake

Post  Errata on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:53 am

Now I did this one recently. The intial liquid to dried fruit seemed to me to be too small. I added a bit more sherry than stated.

I also didn't use cherries as I am allergic to them. I replaced them with same wight in extra dried fruit instead.

Easy cake to make, can't fault that.

This is when it went wrong. The baking, I tested mine after 2 hours, and the knife came out sticky. It was in for the total 4 hours and burnt despite double wrapped greasepaper and foil on top. Even after the 4 hours the knife came out sticky?? I put it down to the fruit that is in it, it is packed full of it.. So I may have been able to pull it out sooner?

I am assured by Cheif taste tester hubby, Cakes lovely and gets the thumbs up after removing all the burnt edges off of it.

So be wary of this.

Errata
Cookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ju-Ju on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:08 am

Hadn't tried this one, have another that I used..However in the great cauldron things must evolve. I have to agree certain dried fruits need more or less liquid encouragement.

I did this with cheap own brand mixed fruit and it needed more liquid va va voom. Also I did one with top quality fruit, that didn't need as muchh liquid. Either way both cake turned out amazing. To be honest I preferred the cheap fruit version, it held its shape without mushing. Moist which for an xmas cake is never easy to achieve.

So this cauldron witch will be switching her xmas cake to Mary Berry's yummy one.

Ju-Ju
Admin

http://witchsoup.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Satrina on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:12 am

I baking this, ckaings was very yummy.
Satrina
Toasting Nicely
Toasting Nicely

Birthday : 1976-04-13

Back to top Go down